Cover’s Operations team is seeking Pricing Modeling analysts to join our team!
Cover is a national insurance brokerage, licensed in all 50 states, working with more than 35 carriers. We source our customers entirely from our iPhone and Android apps. Right now, we rank #1 for searches of insurance on the AppStore in Canada, and within the top 10 in the US on any given day. The company is backed by Y Combinator and many other world-class investors.
We're reshaping the way that insurance is sold, and building product to make sure our customers get the most out of the insurance policies they buy. Insurance products are consumer products, yet have never been treated as such by incumbents. We're proud of our customer-centric focus, and the elegant apps we build to better serve our customers.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
As a part of the Cover team, your job duties will include pulling and cleaning large data sets from internal and external sources; fitting, tuning and validating a wide array of statistical models; integrating predictive models into analytical tools for non-technical end users; and sharing insights from your analyses with all levels of management, including senior executives.
You will be part of a team that is focused on innovation: trying new modeling techniques, devising new metrics, and tackling complex questions that the company has never tried to answer before.
You’ll have a chance to work on questions like:
• How much does weather and climate affect the rate of automobile accidents?
• How can we predict the average repair costs for a vehicle that is brand new to the market?
• Which policyholders are most likely to change the terms of their policy, and in which ways?
Would you like to join our innovative team? If so, do you meet these qualifications?
• Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field; graduate degrees are encouraged
• Demonstrated ability in mathematical, statistical, financial or economic analyses on large, complex datasets
• Familiarity with multivariate classification and regression techniques; experience with at least one of GLMs, decision trees, or machine learning
• Experience within the insurance or related industry strongly preferred
• Programming experience, including SQL, and at least one of R, Python, SAS, or similar; demonstrated ability to learn new tools
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Advanced quantitative and qualitative problem solving skills
• Ability to focus on details and work under deadlines
This is your first step to becoming a Cover leader through exposure to real-life business decisions that affect the company's success!
Must be willing and able to commute or relocate. This position is located in our San Francisco office.
Insurance is a very big business
There are hundreds of admitted insurance companies processing north of $500B in insurance premiums across all lines of property, life and specialty insurance in the US. Most of these companies operate on technology platforms built many decades ago. As a result, they suffer from glaring inefficiencies that are passed on to their customers in the form higher prices, poor customer and product experiences that haven’t adapted to the expectations of modern customers. Our approach requires bringing service, analytics and technology together in an elegant way, and doing so in an industry that has historically lacked all three. This will mean applying creativity and flexibility to every interaction with customers and partners, while always looking for ways to make them - and, by extension, us - more successful.
Building a national insurance entity from scratch is something few people can claim to have done - you’ll be one of them. We’re passionate about bringing world-class product and consumer experiences to insurance, and financial services, building fair & sustainable products and delivering lasting value to our customers. We’re looking for people who won’t settle for less than building category-defining products.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent:
We believe in equal opportunity. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.