We're reshaping the way that insurance is sold, and building product to make sure our customers get the most out of the insurance policies they buy. Insurance products are consumer products, yet have never been treated as such by incumbents. We're proud of our customer-centric focus, and the elegant apps we build to better serve our customers. Cover has significant backing by world-class investors and is based in San Francisco.
We are looking for a business leader with a proven ability to identify, manage and execute on material partnership opportunities
We're reshaping the way that insurance is sold, and building product to make sure our customers get the most out of the insurance policies they buy. We're proud of our customer-centric focus, and the elegant apps we build to better serve our customers. Cover has significant backing by world-class investors and is based in San Francisco.
As a Business Development Lead, you will be required to quickly ramp on insurance industry knowledge. You will work with leadership across each function of the business to support integrations, partnerships, and platforms that will improve our operational efficiency, or drive distribution to Cover. You will do this alongside a team of colleagues who have founded and exited successful tech startups, and come from a diverse set of technology companies.
You will own all aspects of Business Development, and will build a team around you to identify, validate, socialize and execute on partnerships wherever insurable property is sold or managed. This high-performing individual will be based in our San Francisco Headquarters.
- You’re excited to work in an early-stage, entrepreneurial environment with high-caliber colleagues
- You are fired up to “go beyond” - sourcing, vetting AND driving select partners through to implementation
- You want to get your hands dirty by learning (or improving at) what it takes to be an operator
- You can build relationships and work effectively across functions, and with company customers and outside partners
- You always have a perspective on what to do next, and can reprioritize on the fly as new needs and information emerges
- You are experienced working with senior executives, and you know how to translate those interactions to tangible impact
- You can find information “where none exists” - including interviews, mystery shopping, and other creative methods of developing sources of insight
- Owning all aspects of business development and partner diligence, and relationship management
- Partners may include e-commerce platforms, auto dealership networks, property management software platforms, fintech applications, and diversified financial services entities
- Hands-on execution, including identification and negotiation of key business partners, communicating technical and business requirements to other senior leaders and following through on the fulfillment of these requirements
- Drafting comprehensive plans for each key partnership taken on
- Managing multiple projects at once with a constant mind towards re-balancing for current company priorities
- Traveling occasionally to do research, meet with partners, and/or support other executives for key presentations and meetings
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with an engineering or business focus
- 2-3+ years demonstrated success at a top tier management consulting, investment banking, hedge fund or private equity firm, or related technology BD experience
- Strong technical aptitude and attention to detail; can confidently project manage a complex effort with many moving pieces
- Ideally has worked in the insurance or warranty industry, where you have gained some exposure to the processes/technology involved to provision insurance and warranties
- Demonstrable wins in designing and delivering core components of success everywhere you have ever worked or studied
- Excellent interpersonal skills; people want to hang out with you once they’ve met you, and your team members proactively seek your input and guidance
- Outstanding presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- The ability to not be deterred - relentless in driving to impact
- You will play a critical role in our go-to-market success, and beyond.
In your first 3 months on the job, you will:
- Develop a framework for vetting partnership opportunities that arise organically for their strategic, technical, or distribution value to Cover
- Spearhead outreach efforts to distribution partners, inclusive of, but not limited to auto dealership networks, e-commerce platforms, strategic merchants, fintech platforms, banks, other insurance companies, hardware vendors
- Develop a sense for insurance, and a better understanding for the team you will be building around yourself
- Close meaningful deals and work with the product, engineering and sales teams to support your efforts
After that, you will:
- Manage and expand partnerships where you’ve determined lasting value
- Build-out additional processes and operations as needed to support your BD efforts
- Begin to build a team to source, vet, and execute deals with your assistance
From here, you may:
- Lead all of Business Development at Cover
- Move into Business Operations, Product, or Growth, where you may see opportunities to flex / expand a skillset
You’re here to work on hard things, learn, grow, support and challenge your peers.
Building a national insurance entity from scratch is something few people can claim to have done - you’ll be one of them. We’re passionate about bringing world-class product and consumer experiences to insurance, and financial services, building fair & sustainable products and delivering lasting value to our customers. We’re looking for people who won’t settle for less than building category-defining products.